Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Story In A Box
Story In A Box is a creative writing workshop that puts the writer straight into the heart of the story. There is no better way to see how the elements of a narrative come together than to be fully immersed in the writing process.
The Land Of Imagination's deep dark secret is out. This once peaceful and creative land is now facing destruction. Soon all your favourite books and characters will be lost forever. You must do something. You must write this world out of danger.
You'll need to think quickly on your feet, generate ideas, solve problems and weave your way through the writing process from beginning to end. Both sides of your brain will get a workout here. The choices you make will determine precisely how your adventure story unfolds. With some simple tricks and tools under your belt, I'll show you how to build your narrative from the ground up. Writing activities are designed to extend your creative writing and thinking skills, as well as inspire a love of language and storytelling.
You will leave with a box full of inspiration, writing resources, character designs and a detailed narrative plan: everything you'll need for your winter writing project.
About Beth Cregan
After teaching for 25 years in both the private and public sector, I combined my passion for books, writing and storytelling to launch Write Away With Me. Now in its ninth year, W.A.W.M. offers a wide range of original and creative storytelling and writing workshops throughout Melbourne and regional Victoria. I present Professional Development workshops for educators, run workshops for schools and organisations as well as running private classes. I believe we learn to write in the same way as we learn to speak, by being immersed in the process. In my programs, I share and teach the authentic craft of writing. Writing is and always has been, a powerful way to shape and share our experience of the world. In my classes, I want to create a sanctuary where writers can play and experiment with language and creative ideas. I want to provide a space for young creatives to find their voice and their tribe.
- Learn how to plot and plan an action packed adventure story.
- Learn how to use pre-writing strategies such as drawing and oral storytelling to clarify and develop ideas.
- Learn how to develop interesting and engaging characters.
- A Story Box full of resources and creative writing inspiration.
- The Ultimate Action Story Planner - a graphic organiser to solve your story planning blues.
- A writing pencil and a notebook
- Coloured pencils and textas for decorating designs and character sketches.
- A nut free snack and a drink bottle for our morning break.
Casual and comfy writing clothes
Recommended for writers in Years 3 - 5 . Check in with me if your writer is out of this age range and keen to attend.
I plan my workshops and activities to be open-ended and able to cater for a range of writing skills. Bring along your sense of adventure!
Write Away With Me is unable to give refunds for missed sessions. If for some reason, your child is unable to attend the planned session, please contact the office.
Parents enrolling their child in this program must agree to the following terms and conditions:
- In an emergency, if medical assistance is needed for my child, I give my permission for ‘Write Away With Me’ staff to take whatever steps are necessary.